Online marketing includes all the digital media (website, e-mail, social networks, video, etc.) that the activities use to attract and retain the attention of online users.
While traditional marketing strategies focus on attracting the attention and interest of people using TV or radio, online marketing strategies use digital interfaces to reach their audience.
With the progressive establishment of social networks, online marketing has become very interactive. Marketing with current customers, potential customers and other companies in the same sector has transformed unidirectional communication into multidimensional communication, where consumers also help to produce the content of online brands.
The different components that complete the web marketing and the different tactics used to stimulate the interaction between customers and brand are topics that could fill the pages of many books. However, there are some basic principles that support the different practices aimed at building the foundations of a good online marketing strategy.
Here are some tips on how to best use these principles and increase customer interaction; indispensable elements that serve to build the image of one’s own activity …
1. Immersive content
If there is something to remember before creating or modifying a content marketing strategy, it is this: the needs of the activity must coincide with those of your target. When you develop a website or create social profiles, you are creating valuable content for both consumers and industry influencers.
Create a marketing strategy that can serve any other means of communication so as to induce consumers to always return to your site, to reinforce the image and message of their brand.
Here are some other useful tips …
-If you have not already done so, now is the time to create a good content marketing strategy to identify the needs and expectations of your target audience, set goals to be achieved and the means to measure their success.
- Share contents in each online platform. In this way you have the possibility to reach more users.
- Create at least two articles a week. You can post these articles on the blog or in the section dedicated to useful and necessary information for users. WordPress, Medium and Tumblr are just some of the options available to small and medium-sized businesses.
- Landing page. Be sure to create compelling landing pages for each campaign to attract and redirect users to the site.
- Monitor reviews and customer feedback. Pay attention to reviews and customer feedback so that you can use them as a reference for upcoming articles. For example, a series of articles can be written to answer the most frequently asked questions of customers.
If online content is the “king”, then some SEO experts might argue that the site’s taxonomy is the “queen”. Taxonomy is the science that generically deals with the modes of classification, in this case deals with the categorization and organization of the content. These elements are not simple categories, sub-categories or tags that are used to organize the site; the taxonomy also includes the site URL structure, the navigation menu and the breadcrumb.
Make sure that apart from the valuable content, the site is also user-friendly and easy to navigate. Furthermore, the site design must be mobile-friendly and work properly in any device (computer, mobile, tablet).
Even when it comes to SEO, content is always the “king”. One of the best ways to get a site relevant to search engines is by posting high quality and relevant content. In other words: avoid excessive use of keywords and create content that can attract users’ attention to the point of sharing them with their online friends.
Because the site’s location on Bingo’s SERPs, Google, and Yahoo etc. is one of the main means by which customers can find your site, you must also increase the importance and relevance of the content offered and consequently also improve the position in the SERP.
In other words, this means …
- Improve the visibility of relevant content by posting them in the initial part of the site. In this way, users can view the best content first, instead of clicking several pages until they go back without finding anything of value.
- Optimize site images using the Alt tag.
- Add descriptive anchor text that lead users to other pages or sections of the site. The micro text that you use to describe these links must aim to increase the conversion rate.
- Also Meta descriptions are very important and necessary to make a brief representation of what visitors can expect by clicking on the page.
- Do not forget to create an account on Google My Business in order to appear on Google Maps. This is very important especially if you have a “physical” store or activity.
3. Social media
Today, social networks have become an integral part of every online marketing strategy. In fact, one study concluded that 52% of internet users are active in at least two social platforms.
Social networks offer the opportunity to share and promote the content of the website, which emphasizes the importance of using the preferred platforms of current or potential customers, instead of spending time and energy on platforms that do not coincide with the activity or with users who follow you.
For example, if your business is concentrated in the B2B (Business-to-Business) sector, then it would make more sense to use LinkedIn instead of Instagram as part of your online marketing strategy.
Here are some useful tips to optimize your marketing strategy through social networks …
- If you have not yet created a strategy for social networks, the time to create it is now. If you already have a social media strategy, then try to analyze the work done and the results achieved to see if it is necessary to make changes or improvements. Since trends on social networks are constantly being updated, the same thing must also happen with respect to your marketing strategy.
- Include videos too. To complete your online marketing strategy you can consider investing in the production of some professional videos and share them on YouTube, the second most popular search engine, after Google. Having a good presence on YouTube means having the opportunity to reach many customers who are more likely to watch a video than reading an article.
Show your products, explain their benefits and also include testimonials from satisfied customers. Under the videos, in the section dedicated to the description, you can include the link to the site and the profiles on the other social networks.
Use social networks to gather customer feedback
Do not just concentrate on publishing content, instead try to use social networks to answer questions or requests from customers. This is very useful for demonstrating that your business is concerned with interacting with its customers.
The activity blog, the Facebook page or Twitter etc. they are an excellent alteration from which to obtain questions, requests or new ideas from users. Moreover, online content, articles and videos on YouTube are indexed by search engines which helps a lot when it comes to increasing your online presence and position on SERPs.
4. Mobile optimization
Some research and studies have shown that 1.3 million Android devices are activated every day and that people control mobile phones and apps, around 150 times a day.
This shows that an online marketing strategy is not an option but a “must” if you want to succeed online. Even if you have developed a very interesting website and the content is easy to find, it is also necessary that the site is optimized for the different devices used by users, whether these phones, computers, tablets or other.
If you create a responsive design site – sites that can automatically adapt to the device from which they are displayed – you can also avoid the expenses that would be needed to build another mobile-friendly site.
For a responsive design make sure you …
- Check site navigation from any device and operating system available; iOS, Android, OS X and Windows.
- Choose themes and images optimized for each device.
- If you think that a mobile application can improve the user experience, then it is also worthwhile investing in the development of a mobile app.
The data provided by the analytics tools are necessary to evaluate the progress and results of an online marketing strategy, although sometimes it is very difficult to understand which elements need to be analyzed. The first elements to consider are the number of views, the percentage of clicks, the conversion rate, the most visited pages and the rebound rate.
If you have not yet chosen the way or the means to be used to analyze your site you can choose between …
- Moz Analytics
- Google Analytics
For pages on social media you can choose between …
- Facebook Page Insights
- Twitter Analytics
For the e-mail marketing campaign you can choose between …
- Campaign Monitor
Creating a good marketing strategy takes some time, but it is very efficient for finding and retaining customers online.