“My computer does not turn on.”
“My PC is going very slow.”
“The keyboard does not work”
Do you sound these phrases? Surely, at some time in the life of your computer you have suffered one of these situations. But … how to know what fails on my PC? If you want to know, what are the common problems of a computer and its possible solutions (now or in the near future) read on.
Here is a list of the most common problems that usually affect computers and how to fix them. It never hurts to be informed about them if at certain times you or a close acquaintance suffer them. Don’t get caught off guard!
“My PC does not turn on”
It is one of the most common problems of a computer that you can find. It can be a very simple or too serious symptom. Given these types of computer failures, we propose the following solutions. Find out what your case is …
- Connect the plug: Too obvious? Do not believe. It happens more often than you think. And if it is not the fault of the plug, it may be the general current.
- Are you sure everything is well connected?: The equipment may be plugged in. But if it is a laptop sometimes its power supply may not be well connected at some point, since the battery must be connected by two parts. In the case of a desktop, it may be because the monitor is not connected . Or any other important cable. Check that all the cables are properly hooked. If it still does not turn on, you may have to change the battery or the power cord of the equipment.
- The brightness is too low: Either you are going prematurely blind, they’ve played a joke or you were seeing something you shouldn’t have and you quickly removed the shine. Whatever your excuse, if this is your problem, it has an easy solution: the brightness rises.
- Be patient: If your PC does not start, it may be because the temperature of your computer is ideal for preparing a barbecue on it. Try to ventilate it a little, wait a while and turn it on again.
- Hardware or software problems: If none of this has worked for you, you have to take it to the doctor. If your computer turns on but Windows does not start, you may have to format or repair it. Maybe you have a broken component or a malicious virus. Anyway, you have no other. Take it to a technician and have a thorough diagnosis.
“My computer does not turn off”
Given this computer problem there are several solutions. It may be due to a specific error or something more serious. Sometimes it is enough to have a little patience, but if the problem persists, do what we propose below …
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete: A window will open where you can see the option to turn off the equipment or manage the tasks that are being carried out at that time and may be interfering with the action of turning off the equipment.
- Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds: If your computer crashes and does not respond for a long time, it is necessary to give a little push to the force. A more extreme solution is to unplug the computer from the power (or remove its battery in the case of laptops) although it is a solution not recommended for possible damage to the software or loss of data.
- Set the on / off button: In the power options section of your computer, you will find the behavior of the on and off button. Try to choose the option that best suits you so that it does not suspend or turn off after a few minutes or when you press the button.
- Scan the PC for viruses: Sometimes a good antivirus that registers your entire PC can solve any problem that is causing this computer failure. Also try to update the drivers of the computer in case any one is failing or uninstall recently installed programs to find out if it is an application that is causing the problem.
- Resets the system to factory settings: A virus, a momentary saturation of the equipment, a bad configuration in the system or a problem with a program that is influencing the performance of the equipment can give failures as well. A simple formatting or restoration of the system to an earlier point can solve any problem of a computer that shuts down only constantly or does not shut down directly.
- Hardware problems: If the computer still does not respond, it is likely that your RAM, hard drive or any other component is defective. Faced with this kind of common problems of a computer you will need to take it to a technician to check it.
“My computer is going very slow.”
This situation is usually due to performance problems of your computer. To increase your speed try the following actions …
- Install a good antivirus: If you don’t have it and inspect your hard drive for computer viruses that may be affecting your pc. Detect that you yourself are not self-sabotaging your computer or have security problems on the internet. Maybe you are demanding too much by opening 5 programs at once while watching a movie on Netflix and with 7 open websites waiting to be served.
- Check your internet connection: Sometimes we blame the software and mistreat the hardware with the classic taps. Maybe it’s the fault of that evil router that sometimes fails. Go pay him a visit and restart it. This way you will learn.
- Free up space on your hard drive: Many times, we do not realize that we have overloaded the capacity of our team. Check that you have enough gigabytes to function properly. Otherwise, you will have to uninstall a program that you do not use and delete or transfer to another disk all that content that has been taking dust for months.
- Give it fresh air: It is normal for you to have the problem that your computer shuts down on its own or runs slowly if it overheats. Try to give it a little cool with a special fan for computers. Your circuits also need to be aired from time to time. They may have been affected by the summer heat. If the temperature is too high you can also clean it by opening it and cleaning the dust that has accumulated inside. Although for this work, we advise you to contact a professional.
- Disable useless programs: Sometimes, we don’t realize that these common computer problems can be solved by freeing up some disk space. In the task manager of the Windows bar you can check which programs are consuming more energy. In the Home tab, look at those applications that affect your performance and disable them. And if you don’t use them often, directly uninstall them. In this way, you can improve its functions and increase your productivity.
- Format your PC: To be able to leave it with the same features that came from the factory. Sometimes there are undetectable operating system failures. In this way, you will clean your computer thoroughly, uninstalling all the applications that overloaded the memory, leaving it as new. But do not forget before saving all the important data that you have inserted in another hard drive!
- Retire your computer!: Maybe you have no choice but to assimilate that your pc needs a mandatory replacement. If it is already old, you may need a new computer that can meet all your requirements. Understand that technology is advancing by leaps and bounds. There are RAM with much more capacity, SSD hard drives that work at lightning speed and graphics much more powerful than before. You can also change any of these components, but in the long run, you will have to change a new computer completely. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, not even the machines, which also end up deteriorating.
“The keyboard does not work (or the mouse).”
Nothing, no matter how much you press the keys or click, you can’t get them to work. Do you need to buy a new one? Is it because of that fall last week? Do not worry, before these common problems of a computer, do not be alarmed. Its solution is simple and, at the wrong time, the outlay for buying a new one will not be very high. Still, try to fix it in the following ways:
- Reconfigure it: You know how the computer world works. Sometimes by magic something is unconfigured or works worse. Try going to “Start> Control Panel> Device Management> Right click of the device> Properties” and reinstall the peripheral so that it works incorrectly. If the restart still does not work, try the following. Next!
- Connect the cable well: It may be that the cable that is attached to the equipment is not connected properly or is not turned on. Won’t it work with batteries? Check it.
- Does the keyboard type what it feels like?: Sometimes we press an unintentional button and strange or incorrect letters begin to appear. Try pressing ALT + Shift or Control + Shift to fix it. If it is not fixed it may be due to a bad language setting and you will need to reconfigure it in the Control Panel.
- If certain keys do not work for you …: It may be due to problems with the drivers and you will have to update them to their latest version so that they work again.
- Does the keyboard type alone?: If you have not played Ouija lately, it may be a malicious virus, only instead of tormenting a ghost, it is done by a hacker that has been introduced on your PC. Pass a good antivirus to the entire system to verify that you get rid of it.
- If none of the above works …: Try cleaning the keyboard and all its keys with a good fan and sticks. If it still doesn’t work, take it to a technician and use a virtual keyboard in the meantime.
“The computer screen does not work.”
This is one of the most frequent computer errors you can find. If your computer turns on but Windows does not start or your PC screen goes black, try these tips …
- Again, check your connections: Well connected cables, display on, active electricity … To find out if it is a problem with the monitor, you can try to connect it to another computer in case you use it with a desktop computer.
- Configure energy saving: This is one of the common problems of a computer that is easier to correct. Sometimes the monitor is set to turn off the screen to save energy. The solution is to reconfigure it in the power options.
- Does the screen look crooked or flipped?: Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Direction arrows, to be able to put the screen in the desired position. Also try to right click on the desktop and click on “Screen settings”. There you can modify its resolution and orientation.
- Backlight problems: Maybe the image is showing but you can’t see it correctly. Try to illuminate the screen with a small flashlight to find out if it is a backlight problem. If you can see images on the PC you must change the inverter or, directly, the entire screen if it is an LED monitor.
- Outdated drivers: If the screen ever goes black and does not respond, you must update the device driver. If you press the Windows + X button and click on device manager you can update them in the “Display adapters” section by clicking on the right click. Try, in addition, to update the drivers of the graphics card and the video in case the problem comes from there.
- High temperature: As in previous cases, the problem may be due to excessive temperature. This causes the computer to malfunction, and must be thoroughly cleaned. There are applications that can help you reduce it by controlling the graphics or fans that manage to cool the equipment. It is also possible that the computer needs an internal cleaning by the accumulated dust to work properly.
- Internal components damaged: Maybe the fault is due to an internal problem in the computer. It may be necessary to replace the RAM or the graphics card is damaged and must be replaced. To know this, a specialized technician should see it so that I can advise you.
These are some of the most common computer errors that can happen to you. All these types of breakdowns in an old computer system are even more normal, since their components have become obsolete or damaged by the passage of time.
PC failures are, in the long run, and unfortunately, inevitable. Sooner or later you will encounter any of these common computer problems. That is why you should be alert in case one of the problems included in the list happens to you.